JANUARY 2023: UPDATE TO THE BELOW STORY:
From Pat Burns, Chairman MMMF:
Before Munich, 3 of us from the Manchester Munich Memorial Foundation are visiting Belgrade. On Friday 3rd February 2023, I will be presenting this plaque to the Metropol Hotel in Belgrade. This has been funded SOLELY from the pockets of the Trustees and Members of the Manchester Munich Memorial Foundation and has not come from fans donations. Confirmed attendees now include:
- His Majesty’s Ambassador to Serbia
- FK Partizan Belgrade senior representative
- A legend from the 1958 game from FK Red Star Belgrade
- The President, Honorary President, CEO, COO and Sports Director from the Board of FK Crvena Zvezda/Red Star Belgrade FC
- Friends from FK Studentski Grad
- A very large contingent from Malta MUSC
Reds from UK, USA and Ireland
Rest in Peace our beloved Busby Babes 🙏🙏🕊🕊❤️❤️
ORIGINAL ARTICLE PUBLISHED AUGUST 2022
On February 3rd 2023, the Chairman of the Manchester Munich Memorial Foundation – MMMF, Pat Burns, will present a brass plaque to the Metropol Hotel in Belgrade to commemorate the Busby Babes. Working with renowned and respected authors, our friends in Belgrade, the MUFC museum and both the Metropol and Majestic Hotels in Belgrade, Pat was able to establish that the 1958 tour party had, more than likely per the evidence gathered, stayed at the Metropol Hotel and not at the Majestic Hotel as was always thought.
In 2020, the MMMF presented a brass plaque to the Majestic Hotel, which is on display there and was where the team spent their last evening at a banquet arranged by the Yugoslavian Football Association.