MMMF members started to arrive in Munich from Thursday 3rd February. By Saturday 5th, 14 out of 18 of us were there in total. We were there, along with approximately 300 reds, to commemorate the 64th anniversary of the Munich Air Disaster.
On Sunday 6th February, promptly at 2:50 p.m. the official memorial service was opened by MMMF Chairman, Pat Burns. After welcoming our friends from Pikassio Libero, Buntkicktgut and Red Docs Munich, Pat explained that due to covid restrictions, the official MMMF fans representatives, Michelle Skinner and Gabriella Cansfield (14) from Runcorn, were sadly unable to travel. Instead, two lifelong Reds, Jeff Marshall and Neil Casey from Urmston were introduced to the assembled gathering as the fans who would fulfil the fans representatives duties during the ceremony.
Pat outlined the rest of the ceremony and it started with Jeff and Neil reading out the names of the 23 souls who tragically perished as a result of the disaster. Impeccably observed, fans then joined together in singing in full “Forever and Ever”, led by Pat and MMMF Vice Chairman Tony Crook.
We then held the official 2 minutes silence, exactly at 3:04 p.m. Again, this was observed impeccably in such a respectful and solemn silence by the fans.
The following wreaths were laid:
- Neil Casey laying the official fans wreath on behalf of all MUFC fans;
- Tony and Sue Crook who were laying the official club wreath on behalf of MUFC;
- Jeff Marshall who was laying on behalf of the Association of Former Manchester United Players AFMUP;
- Tom Clare, who had travelled from Louisiana USA, who laid a wreath in memory of Willie Satinoff on behalf of the Satinoff family
- Erich Steiner, Bernhard Neumann, Rene Adamec and Sancho Kung from Austria MUSC who laid a wreath on behalf of our oldest MUSC Malta Branch, plus their own.
We then sang our closing song “The Flowers of Manchester”, led by Pat, with great pride and passion.
Finally, Pat read out a poem entitled “The Flowers of Manchester” written by Kian Mattison. Kian plays for the Under 13s at the Manchester United Academy. His poem had been selected by head coach Neil Harris and other coaches following a project the Academy had run with all the young players on Munich and The Babes.
Pat then officially closed the ceremony.
Here is a video of the full ceremony for those unable to travel to enjoy.